Indulge in these delightful, fluffy donuts that’ll transport you straight back to childhood memories. The sweet and tangy kick comes from strawberry milk powder, bringing a burst of flavor to a classic egg custard filling made with Eggland’s Best eggs and lightened with whipped cream.
If you haven’t tried making fruity sugar yet, now’s the perfect time! You can easily find freeze-dried berries in stores or online, adding flavor without the extra liquid to your baking recipes.
Strawberry Milk Donuts
Strawberry Milk Filling:
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 Eggland’s Best egg at room temperature
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/3 cup strawberry milk powder like Nesquik
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm milk 100°F
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 cups bread flour plus more for rolling
- 1/4 cup ½ stick unsalted butter, softened
- 3 Eggland’s Best egg yolks at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Safflower or canola oil for frying
- Strawberry sugar for rolling
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup ground freeze-dried strawberries
Making the Filling:
- Combine strawberry milk powder, cornstarch, and egg in a bowl. Whisk until fluffy. Warm whole milk and sugar, then mix into the egg mixture. Strain back into the pot, heat until thickened, and add butter. Cool, cover, and refrigerate.
Making the Dough:
- Mix yeast, warm milk, and sugar. Combine with dry ingredients, butter, egg yolks, and vanilla. Knead into a ball, refrigerate overnight.
Frying the Donuts:
- Bring dough to room temperature. Roll into a 9×13 inch rectangle, cut out 3-inch rounds. Allow to proof, then fry in oil at 365°F. Toss in strawberry sugar while warm.
Filling the Donuts:
- Whip heavy cream to medium-soft peaks. Smooth out pastry cream, fold in the cream, and fill a pastry bag. Poke a hole in each donut, fill with the creamy mixture.
- Serve immediately and enjoy your homemade strawberry-filled donuts!