We tested these yummy potato stacks about 7 times last week. Now, we’re totally sure they’re perfectly crispy outside, soft inside, and bursting with just the right cheesy, garlicky, herby goodness in every bite!
This recipe may take a bit of time, but trust us, it’s pretty easy – just be a little patient! The effort is 100% worth it. Save it for special occasions like holidays, dinner parties, or date nights.
Crispy Cheesy Garlic Potato Stacks
- 3 large or 4 smaller russet potatoes make sure they are about the same size
- 1/2 cup melted unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups shredded gruyere cheese
- 2/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tsp finely chopped fresh oregano
- 5-6 cloves finely minced garlic
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F and lightly grease a muffin tin.
- Using a mandoline, carefully slice the potatoes to 1/8” thickness. (Check out our cut-proof gloves on our Amazon page for safety!)
- Add the potato slices to a big bowl and toss them evenly with the melted butter.
- In another bowl, mix both cheeses, herbs, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Start by layering two smaller potato slices at the bottom of each muffin tin. Top with 1 tsp of the cheese mixture, then repeat until you have 10 potato layers and 4 cheese layers. Don’t add cheese to the top layer yet.
- Repeat with all the muffin tins. Cover tightly with aluminum foil, then bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven, take off the foil, and top each potato stack with ~2 tsp of the cheese mixture (or however much you like).
- Return to the oven (uncovered) for another ~25 minutes, until golden brown and crispy.
- Loosen them with a spoon or knife, then carefully slide a small spatula underneath. They might not all come out perfectly clean, but they’ll still taste amazing!