Delight in the comforting flavors of fall with these easy-to-make pop tarts! Imagine sweet, spiced apples nestled in a flaky pastry and oozing with a creamy cheesecake filling. Perfect for a leisurely breakfast, a quick afternoon snack, or a dessert that will impress.
Apple Cheesecake Pop-Tarts
For the Pop-Tart Pastry Dough:
- – 2 ½ cups 314g all-purpose flour
- – 2 teaspoons sugar
- – ½ teaspoon salt
- – 1 cup 2 sticks or 226g unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
- – ¼ cup 60g ice water
- – 1 large egg beaten with 1 Tablespoon water for egg wash
For the Apple Cinnamon Filling:
- – 3 medium apples peeled and cored
- – 2 Tablespoons 14g unsalted butter
- – ¼ cup 56g brown sugar
- – 2 Tablespoons 26g granulated sugar
- – 1 Tablespoon 14g lemon juice
- – 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- – 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- – 1 Tablespoon water
For the Cheesecake Filling:
- – 8 oz 1 block or 227g cream cheese, at room temperature
- – ¼ cup 28g powdered sugar
- – 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Cinnamon Maple Glaze:
- – ¼ cup 57g butter, melted
- – 1 cup 120g powdered sugar
- – 1 teaspoon maple flavoring
- – ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- – 1-2 Tablespoons milk
- In a food processor, combine flour, sugar, and salt. Add cold butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Slowly drizzle in cold water while the processor is running, using only enough to form a soft dough.
- Flatten the dough into a rectangle, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
Apple Cinnamon Filling:
- Chop apples into small cubes and melt butter in a saucepan.
- Add apples, sugars, lemon juice, and cinnamon. Cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Mix cornstarch and water, then stir into the apple mixture. Remove from heat and let it cool.
- Use an electric mixer to blend cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla until smooth. Set aside.
- Roll out half of the chilled dough into a 10” x 12” rectangle. Cut into eight 3” x 5” rectangles.
- Place on a baking sheet and spoon cream cheese filling onto half of the rectangles, leaving a border. Add apple filling, then seal with the remaining rectangles.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes, poke holes with a fork, brush with egg wash, and bake at 350°F for 25-30 minutes.
- *Cinnamon Maple Glaze:*
- Whisk melted butter, powdered sugar, maple flavoring, cinnamon, and milk for a spreadable consistency.
- Spoon onto cooled pop-tarts and spread. Serve at room temperature and enjoy!
- Pop-Tart Dough: Store in the fridge for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Storing: Best enjoyed the same day or store in the fridge for 2-3 days in an airtight container.